How to Write my College Essay
Essay, in a nutshell
An essay is short piece of writing that is focused on a particular subject. It consists of three parts – introduction, or an overview of what the paper is all about; body of the paragraph which contains vital and supporting information about the topic; and the conclusion, which contains a closing statement and a summary of the essay’s most important points.
Ordinary Essay vs. College Essay
As opposed to the definition above, a college essay is a piece of work written by a potential student as part of the admission process in order to get accepted in a college or university. Aside from your grades, college essay gives admissions department a grasp of who you are as a person and at the same time, determines your competence in terms of writing.
Tips in Writing College Essay
Now you start to wonder, “how do I write my college essay?” The following tips will guide you on how to write your college essay more effectively.
- Keep it simple. If you want to make an impression, avoid using flowery or complicated words that even you can’t understand. Keep it short, simple and straight to the point.
- Write using your own voice. Your college essay should reflect you and who you are as a person and no one else.
- Be honest. Most admission essays require a certain question to be answered. Be honest and write about what you feel, not what you think the admission officers would want to read.
- Edit and proofread. Before submitting anything, make sure that your paper is free from grammatical, typographical and spelling errors.
- Get feedback. Ask someone to read your paper and don’t be afraid to receive constructive criticisms. This way, you’ll know whether you’re able to properly convey your thoughts and if there are areas you can improve on.