Educational Face Off: Online Learning vs. Traditional University Programs
Today’s students have hectic lifestyles. College and university studies are not their sole concern; they also have to work, socialize, and think of a way to pay the huge fees associated to education. In addition, people who raise families or serve in the military are not able to attend traditional university programs. The concept of distance learning wasn’t always popular among students and educators, but the great improvement of online courses has changed the general attitude towards this revolutionary model.
What Makes Online Learning Better?
The greatest benefit of online university courses is the fact that their timelines are optimized to fit into the busy schedule of the student. It doesn’t matter whether you are enrolled in another program, work or raise a family; you can manage your time to complete online courses. In addition to this obvious advantage, there are other benefits that make e-learning attractive.
- Students receive immediate feedback. The traditional education relies on academic writing and standardized tests that are subjected to slow evaluation techniques. Most online courses include quizzes and other effective tools that enable the student to assess their knowledge much faster.
- With online learning, there is no need for direct contact between the student and teacher. They don’t have to align their schedules for face-to-face classes, which are the greatest limitation of traditional education.
- Educational technology enables the student to choose the optimal learning environment. Every student is able to take part in a specifically tailored course that fits their learning style. Some universities provide students with faculty mentors for their online studies. This one-to-one teaching model results with a flexible learning experience under proper guidance.
- Online studies provide a great range of options. In order to pursue the education of their dreams, students had to attend on-campus courses at distant universities. Thanks to online education, the student can choose from a great breadth of degree programs that might not be available at nearby colleges or universities.
- Through online education, the student has more time to absorb the coursework material. They don’t waste their time in on-campus activities and don’t have to travel to class every day.
- Online courses are a cost-effective choice that eliminates expenses of transport, babysitting, books, meals, and other costs associated to education in a traditional setting.
Advantages of Traditional University Education
Although e-learning is getting more popular by the day, it will never supplant traditional university programs. Even though online programs can be more easily coordinated with the student’s daily commitments, there is still a great choice of on-campus courses that offer flexible day and evening schedules. If the student lives close to campus, they can easily manage such studies. Here are the most important benefits that make traditional university programs the best choice for the majority of students:
- Students who opt for on-campus studies are able to discipline themselves better. Most of them need the specific structure provided by this setting in order to be successful with their studies. Online courses are associated to procrastination, since they are not tied to a specific schedule of lectures.
- On-campus studies enable face-to-face communication between the student, his fellow classmates, and the instructors. Although online courses are becoming better in this aspect thanks to video conferencing technologies, they cannot replace the real interaction and teamwork that occurs in a traditional setting.
- Dishonesty and plagiarism are regulated with greater efficiency within traditional university programs. Due to the greater connectivity and lack of surveillance, online students find ways to plagiarize or share answers.
The choice is yours!
Although online and traditional university programs have their benefits in different aspects, no model is perfect. Depending on your schedule, preferences, finances, and learning style, you can make a choice of a program that will fit into your requirements. This side-by-side comparison will help you choose the most suitable plan for your specific needs.
- Wide range of services
- 700+ professional writers
- Experienced writers
- Any citation style available
- High quality writing
My thesis was edited to perfection. I was so happy I decided to have professionals edit my paper before I turned it in-Thank you!
Sarah C. Ca